There are few nutrients that can offer many health benefits. One of them is selenium. Diseases associated with aging can be traced to the deficiency of selenium. Selenium benefits are multifarious which we will discuss here.
It is a trace mineral. Being an essential component of thirty proteins, it plays an important role in our health.
1. It makes efficient use of oxygen. You would have heard about glutathione, a great antioxidant. The greatness for glutathione is derived from the four atoms of selenium it contains. It converts hydrogen peroxide into water. Thus it works as a potent antioxidant.
2. It makes friendship with many toxic substances and binds. Once bound, the toxic substances lose their potency and become harmless. This improves the process of detoxification.
3. It prevents arterial deposits and ensures smooth flow of blood. It helps for healthy cardio vascular system.
4. It supports cancer prevention due to its antioxidant properties and detoxification process.
5. Depletion of selenium in brain is immediately replenished to ensure proper functioning of neurotransmission. If not replenished, mood swings and depression are inevitable.
6. When sperm cells are subjected to oxidation and thus prone to get damaged, selenium acts as antioxidant. In this way, structural integrity for sperm is guaranteed and fertility is safeguarded.
7. For a healthy immune system, selenium is very important. The deficiency leads to impairment of immune competency. Adequate provision of this trace mineral improves the immune system by more than twenty to thirty times.
8. Selenium helps for thyroid gland function. Inadequate level would lead to decreased sexual desires.
Salt-water fish, eggs and Brazil nuts are good source for selenium benefits. While organic vegetables and fruits are also the best source for selenium intake, it can also be obtained through natural nutrition supplements.
We can see many nutrition supplements with labels claiming to have this mineral. But you should be very careful because such salts can easily be chemically synthesized and added. In addition, one should be very careful that this trace mineral is added in an optimal measure. I know for sure, a fantastic natural nutrition supplement that contains the selenium benefits in the form of L-Selenomethionine, a selenoaminoacid where selenium replaces the sulphur of the methionine molecule. It is a natural component. This is added along with other ten essential minerals to guarantee the best results. You should visit my website to know more about such important nutrition information and I am sure you will greatly benefit.