Three functions, in particular, are unique to women: menstruation, pregnancy and lactation. These functions are closely related to complex hormonal patterns in women, which also influence behavior.
Among the basic physical differences between men and women are these facts:
- Men have more muscle mass than women.
- Women tend to have a higher proportion of body fat than men. This fat is usually present in the breasts, hips and buttocks.
- Men tend to have more hair (especially in the face).
Physiotherapists understand the physical differences (and unique needs) of the female population and are particularly qualified to help women live healthy lives without pain.
Healthy aging for older women
Specific actions must be taken to ensure that older women age in good health. Physical Therapy Washington dc can help in identifying (and eliminate) risk factors for falls and fractures. Regular strengthening and exercises can slow the decline in bone density that occurs in women as they get older. It may be advisable to consult your doctor to learn more about the risks and benefits of hormone replacement therapy. Screening for calcium, vitamin D and vitamin B12 deficiency is also recommended. Physical therapy can also treat pelvic floor dysfunctions and incontinence problems.
Here are some of the conditions (some of which tend to be more common in women) where physiotherapy can play an important role:
- breast cancer and other cancers
- Rehabilitation following breast surgery
- postmenopausal heart disease
- chronic myofascial pain
- Patellofemoral syndrome
- hypermobility syndrome
- multiple sclerosis
- dysfunction of the sacroiliac joint
- the evils specific to female athletes
Physical therapy helps reduce discomfort and promotes recovery before, during and after pregnancy. Pregnancy-related health problems include heel pain (plantar fasciitis) and associated pain.
Physiotherapy and women’s health
Exercises and techniques to treat women’s health issues include:
- Muscle Rehabilitation – this creates awareness of the body and improves your traveling habits. Kegel exercises to strengthen the weak muscles of the pelvic floor, in addition to Pilates, can be very beneficial.
- Exercise Rehabilitation – this helps improve mobility, strength and endurance. It also strengthens bones and joints.
- The modalities: application of heat and / or ice, electrical stimulation therapy and massage therapy can reduce pain, stiffness and swelling.
- Manual therapy – this helps to improve the flexibility of soft and joint tissues, as well as mobility through repetitive and specific movements done with the hands.
Each physiotherapy program is different and personalized according to the needs of the patient. Women have unique physical and physiological attributes that physiotherapists consider.